Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Sewing, Reading, Passover

The ASG retreat in Navasota was lots of fun but my plan to make a T-Shirt with the Lorelei embroideries didn't work because the tension on my machine was acting up. I made another turtle for the Painted Turtle Camp and sewed about 50 Cool Ties for the community service project. I sewed the Cherrywood Fabrics jelly roll strips that I bought at the Quilt Festival a few years ago into three stratas and a package of 5" quilt squares that I bought at a shop on our vacation in New Hampshire into 9 patches. I still need to figure out what I want to do with the fabrics.

The next Monday was the ASG Adventures in Wearables group. There was a nice demo on fabric manipulation techniques. I tried cutting out a Muslin for another Jacket Pattern. After the group, I took my machine to Sew Contempo. Basically there was a wad of thread stuck in the bobbin area. When the dealer showed me how to pull it out, the machine was working like new again.

At home I sewed the jacket muslin together. I still cannot get the jacket I wanted to make for the ASG Creativity Contest to fit me correctly after this second muslin. I am giving up until after I take Lorianne Reeves "Fit for Life" workshop next month at Fabrics Etc. I'll try out the skirt or pants pattern so I have something for the Wearables group in May. Now that the embroidery function is working again, I should be able to put some thread down the side of the legs or on the hem of the skirt.

The sewing inside the loop group had a field trip to Hi-Fashion fabric and then lunch at Van Loc. Joanne Carpenter was not up to leading the group next month as scheduled, so I also was volunteered to try to teach the bags that snap together with carpenters measuring rules. We saw them at the retreat and I found some info on the net so I will work on that. Sydney is coming to visit next week so I have to start on her Turtle tomorrow. Lots of sewing projects to work on.

I purchased the Threads book and the Fabric Embellishing Book for the Wearables group from Amazon. They didn't have them in the library or at Half-Price Books. I also purchased a membership to The Quilt Show so I have been watching lots of quilting videos on the Internet.

I have many books out of the library. I am almost finished reading "Freedom" by Jonathan Franzen. I am leading the Warwick Book Club next month so I need to reread "The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet" by David Mitchell . I loved it the first time and I'm sure I'll love re-reading it. I also have "South of Broad" by Pat Conroy and "The Sewing Circles of Herat" about the women in Afghanistan out of the library. I also have the "Hip Kosher" cookbook. The recipes have a lot of ingredients I don't usually use and I'm not sure whether we would like them or not. I still have a few books on my Kindle that I haven't completed yet.

I have three sewing books out of the library:
1) "Ready, Set, Serge" by Georgie Merlot. I have wanted to try her ideas after seeing her on Sewing with Nancy. I took some notes and will try them out after the other deadlines are met.
2)"Doll Fanshionistas" by Ellen Lumkin Brown. The book came with a DVD of her with Nancy Zeiman. I don't think I'll have time to get into doll sewing with all of my other projects but it is fun to look at.
3)"All Dolled Up" by Joan Hinds. This has patterns to make for girls size 4, 6, and 8 and matching outfits for 18" dolls. These would be perfect for Sydney, Shayna, or Danielle. Don't know that I'll have time for this until the summer. I'll measure Sydney while she is here and then maybe make a back to school outfit for her. I'll have to trace off the patterns before I return the book to the library. I have other 18" doll books so I probably have doll patterns I can use. The pictures are really cute.

I have been getting calls from many recruiters about going back to work. Today I said to myself: "What would you do if you had an extra year's income?" I couldn't think of anything I would like to do that I don't have the money to do now. I have so many projects planned and I am starting to make some friends among the retired. Perhaps I will stay retired for now.

We had two wonderful Seders with good friends and Lynn and her kids. It's nice having Dave home for the week but I did miss having my own kids with me for the Seders. Maybe next year.
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment